Monday, September 12, 2005

And I am

listening to Kanye West, and feeling hip and urban. (I am, actually, very hip, and urban.)

It leaves me fretful, though. I dislike such a liberal use of the n-word, but issues of race are touchy. I do (illogically) feel some burden of guilt for the evil of slavery, as a Southerner. If the inequality the system of slavery introduced into the New World had been eradicated, maybe I could separate myself entirely from what is in the past. It isn't.

And I find myself really intrigued by African-American culture, and yet I think to participate in the culture would make me the target for scorn, suspicion, and hosility. I don't think I'm allowed to have opinions about that culture. I grant you, my exposure is on the sidelines - I'm addicted to watching "Girlfriends", I'm listening to Kanye West, I think Taye Diggs is hot. (Well, he is.)

I guess really every individual is different, and the truth is I'd like to know a few who are very different from me. But human nature being what it is, befriending the different remains a threat for both sides.

Peace out, brutha.

2 comments:

tokyocrunch said...

"Fantastic blog you have here, I have a website that you might find interesting, on how to get people to see your web blog free."

Oh hell, how much is this costing me currently?

Nobody says "brutha" anymore, Els ...

elsbeth said...

Geez, steve, let me have a least one moment to bask in the glow before I admit I'm being rooked...and at least I CAN use brutha...