Friday, August 10, 2007

So true

I know you won't believe me, but honestly, I really, truly wish I could elope. And I know you're all thinking, well, Elsbeth, you can do whatever you want to. And while that should be true, there are just some demands on a southern girl living away from home that can't be denied. I've won a few battles, and am trying to gear up to lose a few, but the person I really don't want to cheat out of a wedding is my fiance. Who will turn 40 this year, and is the last of several of his groups of friends to get married. And who dutifully or joyfully or resentfully went to all of those weddings and cheered on the brides and grooms. Who is the youngest by 14 years of all his siblings, and pretty much gets treated as the baby by them all.

And by god, that man deserves an event where everyone is there for him.

That said, I actually almost told my dad this past week that we were eloping and we'd call him when and IF we ever have children, since that's what he cares about.

This to a man I have called my best friend. This wedding stuff is for the birds.

And they just don't let you do it as simply as you want. I mean, even if we went the happy meal route, we'd probably find we had to keep the meals in silver chafing dishes.

I'm still trying to keep it sane. Originally, I wanted to do away with attendants, but since I have realized no bridesmaids = no one to hang out with as I'm freaking out before my wedding, I went for 2. TWO, I tell you, it shouldn't be this hard to find an inexpensive dress for them!

No wedding favors. Sorry, I just think there is no need for me to hand out an object so that people can remember they went to my wedding. If they forget, so be it.

I'm already tired of bitching about it. I'm gonna change the subject.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi lady,

I know the planning mostly stinks. Ah, the pressure, the pressure.
All I can really say is that the weekend with our family and friends was wonderful... and it was some of the extra times we planned that were our favorite visiting times (rehearsal dinner, day after breakfast, Sunday afternoon bbq at my parents.) and the nice part was that I farmed out most of those things to other people to run! :)
I'm writing a chapter today. School starts in a week. You know you can call anytime even if only to bitch about it all more directly for 5 minutes. good luck!