Thursday, April 17, 2014

So much wasted time

In a way, it's lucky that my current phone somehow won't track how long each call is. It tells me what time the call originated, but not when it ended, and thus, not the duration.  I miss this feature - I lost it when I was forced to change carriers recently (ours got bought).

But that means I can't go back and tabulate how many hours I have spent on hold trying to sort out my health insurance and that of my new daughter.  I am in no way exaggerating when I put the estimate in terms of 25-30 hours on hold since December.  I'm probably underestimating.  Every time I think I have it sorted out - and I mean, just getting the coverage, not even dealing with any of the claims as of yet - something happens and I get to spend another round of waiting to talk to people.  I think my record is three hours and twenty minutes on hold at Blue Cross Blue Shield.

And a lot of this is for stupid details: I thought I sorted it all out in January, only to be sent an id card with my name misspelled.  This came from an agency that has access to my social security number.  Surely they could match that with my name?  I mean, they're going to need to access my taxes, it will really help to be asking for the correct person's information.

Now I'm suddenly enrolled in a program that might be a huge help, but the information tells me it costs one thing, and the invoice they're asking me to pay is six times that.  So...huhn? Which means...oh dear god...I'm back on hold.

All of these calls are much trickier with an infant on hand, you know.

On the positive side, I figure if there's a purgatory, I'm shortening my time there as we speak.  Or rather, as we don't speak, as we wait on hold for someone to speak to.

Sigh.

No comments: