Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I should be more clever

Every so often, the phone rings at this desk and people ask for Carl Robards. Now, this is a business, and there has never been a Carl Robards working here. His WIFE, Frankie Robards, did indeed work in this office, and at this desk, but she hasn't been here for over three years. I know because I never met her, and I've worked here intermittently for about that.

Now, I'm curious how after three years, I can get a multitude of calls for a man who was, as far as I know, never actually in this office. No, it doesn't happen everyday, but it does happen about once a month.

Has someone finally managed to supply telemarketers or bill collectors with a number that's a true dead end? Why would you give anyone your wife's office number as your own regardless?

Moments ago, I got one of these calls. I take an insufferable pleasure in telling the caller that not only do they have the wrong number, they are so far off as to be incapable of reaching their desired party. I have no forwarding information. The trail goes cold with me.

But I have been exceedingly stupid. My pleasure at telling them how erroneously they dial has been a trap. I need to find out WHY they have this number, I need to ask questions before they know I am a dead end.

A: "Is Carl Robards there?"

B: "Why do you want to know?"

Hmmm....too accusatory. I must ask a question someone would conceivably answer.

B: "May I tell him what this is in regards to?"

No...it will be hard to explain I have no way of reaching him if I lead with that.

B: "May I ask what this is regarding?"

Better. The mystery will be solved....I will lie in wait....the next caller will not slip away with a glib warning from a goody-two-shoes. You have been warned.

No comments: