Thursday, October 05, 2006

I don't advise

....moving via Red Ryder wagon. Oh, sure, they're festive, sturdy, and well-wheeled, but to drag your belongings across three blocks (one the treacherous dog-leg from Larabee to Willow - rich people cars will mow you down) using a children's wagon is a labor-intensive, if quaint, way of getting boxes from point A to point B.

Sadly, it takes lots of trips, and pulling four boxes in a wagon is hard on the arm muscles. (Four is about the limit for a Red Ryder load. Any more and they fall off.)

I'm tired of moving, and I've only barely started. I suppose I feel as if I've been moving since January, when I left my apartment of 3 and a half years. It still feels weird not to go back to Cornelia, although there isn't any there there, as it's been gutted for condos. 3 and 1/2 years is a big commitment for me - it felt like home.

So in January I moved out of there, to house-sit. Then I ended up moving out of the house-sit early (February) to live in a back-room, keeping most of my things in boxes. Then I spent the summer away, with one car load of stuff that I loaded myself, added to over the months, and then re-loaded myself to get back to Chicago. Now, after five weeks out of a suitcase, I am finally moving my boxes into my next living space.

Except it isn't mine. It's another house-sitting situation. Which is great but I'm getting antsy for something that is mine.

Have I mentioned I hate money? I should tell you that although I don't regret being an actor, there are days when I would like to haul off and slap every man, woman, or child who professes to be jealous of my pursuit of an artistic career and then trots off to the house they own, or perhaps drives there in a working vehicle they own, or, really worst yet, buys me dinner because they make more money than I do. I can EAT, people, I just can't make a down payment on a condo right now! Geez!

Regret is a luxury of those who have earned enough money to sit down and rest.

I should start replying, Wow, it's funny you say you wish you'd followed your dream, because I really wish I'd sold out and had a pension plan in place right now! Well, you might not feel artistically fulfilled but your insurance will cover the therapy to talk it through, don't you think?

No comments: