Friday, August 03, 2012

Noticing

Life must be improving, because today I started noticing things outside myself.  The pristine beauty of fish fillets laid out along pebbled ice, a road works man checking out a pretty girl walking by, bright green socks on a hipster with black frames to his glasses and a sweep of hair falling over his forehead.

There's so much light and glory out there - people talking on street corners, children playing on the beach.  Last night as I was unlocking my bike I overheard this teenaged Asian girl tell someone, "That's why vacation has gotten so boring for me...."  It made me laugh, but of course in context I'm sure it was legitimate.  She was sitting on top of a traffic barrier and chatting with a man who looked to be three times her age, and the body language didn't read "flirt" but I couldn't pick up what relationship they had to one another.  It didn't sound like he was family.

I get bogged down in my actual life and miss the transitory and thrilling detail of the tunes of others.  I like stories so much.  Maybe it's time to pay attention to everyone else's story for a while.

No comments: