Saturday, December 29, 2012

Like Staying in a Dream (Don't Let Me Wake Up)

Not that life isn't still full of stalled traffic and bad weather and colds and occasional irritation, but doing a show like this, none of that matters for long.  Last night I went to see the show that's closing in this same theatre where I'll be performing the current awesome project in a couple of weeks.  It's enormous.  It's gorgeous.  It's magnificent.  It has been refurbished and it glitters and shines.

Also, did I mention it's enormous?  It's alternately jaw-dropping and scary as hell that I'll be on that stage in a couple of weeks.  Eek!  I spent the whole show thinking about how strange it is to see a show in a space like that, with production values like that and an audience size like that (it seats 1500), and realize that will be me.  I'm not a large part in this show, but I AM in it, and you won't be able to miss me - I have lines and everything.

Last night I was also blown away by some performances, and all I could think about that was:  I have to get better.  Not, I don't belong here or I have no talent or I'm a charlatan (though of course those ideas travel through my head at times as we rehearse), just, I have more ability that I have currently developed and I have to get more solid at it.

In the meantime, I just watched what might as well be a Broadway show, and realized the next thing on that stage...is me.

No comments: