Thursday, August 01, 2013

Filing Cabinet

Hooray!!  I bought a new (well, used, but barely) filing cabinet!  Instead of having a pile of boxes with disparate things in them, that I have to move around periodically to get to the stuff on the bottom, I will have everything in nice, neat folders with labels on them.  Today I started digging through the boxes, filing what I need neatly, and throwing away outdated or useless material.

Two things.  One.  As I was going through things and thinking how relatively mundane my life/approach to this filing cabinet is, I noticed I was labeling a folder: Funeral Ephemera.  I know lots of you may be pack rats, but at the very least do I get points for creative labeling?

Two. I wrote a lot of truly terrible stuff, mostly bad poetry, but also other bits and pieces of fiction.  However, I'm surprised to find bits and pieces of fiction and poetry in these piles that aren't entirely cringe-worthy.  There's a whole story in there that I wrote as an assignment for a play, and it's not so fantastic that I'm going to start submitting it to magazines, but it's readable!  Sort of intriguing!  Perusing it doesn't make me want to burn it immediately!

I suppose the larger lesson is that it's nice to look back on who you have been and like some of it, be proud of some of it.  Mistakes are made, and regrets exist for us all, but to have experiences and relationships and work you remember fondly is a great delight.

And so, you see a beige filing cabinet, slightly used, I see a repository of delight.

No comments: