Saturday, May 11, 2013

Confession

I've got the waiting on a stranglehold - I've figured out how to pretend that the news I have to wait to hear doesn't exist, so the anxiety is down to a dull roar.

I have not, however, figured out how to turn off that news awareness without also turning off my ability to accomplish anything at all.  Today has turned into a time suck of a day, and I mostly wasted Friday making a cake and in other non-work producing shenanigans.

So the laundry continues to pile, assignments languish, friends go un-emailed, and projects continue only as a gleam in my eye.

But you know what?  Tonight I'm going to settle down with a book and read it.  A physical book, with pages I can turn, with heft and new, uncrinkled pages.  (I have nothing at all against e-readers.  I applaud any and all reading.  I just like real books a lot.  Whatever works for you, go to it.)

But, y'all.  This book I'm planning to read, possibly after eating a piece of cake?  It has no intellectual value whatsoever.  None.  Now, I'm a fan of books with substance, as a rule, but tonight, avoiding thinking about all manner of things, I'm going to settle down with a good, fluffy, consuming novel and go to it.  I will also probably eat more cake.

Just for fun, and to remind myself what I really ought to get back to tomorrow, here's a short list of things I can avoid by reading:
  • the 350 word article I need to write for the neighborhood association
  • the thing I'm waiting to find out about that is driving me nuts
  • the entire disturbing conversation on the internet about rape jokes and why male comics (and their fans) seem to get disproportionally bent out of shape when anyone questions the wisdom (or humor) of rape as a source of hilarity (I can't figure out why anyone at all is yelling and screaming at sady doyle, who seems to me to have been a model of calm clarity in stating her objections, and I'm horrified to note that merely questioning the rape-as-joke mentality seems to invite men and comics to name-call and belittle said questioners.)
  • my lack of progress in cleaning the bedroom
  • my forever losing battle with ants in this apartment.  If I ever move somewhere that doesn't have ants, it will be a miracle.
  • the event I'm behind in planning
Wait, gracious!  Good lord.  I am wasting reading time telling you about all the things I am not doing by reading.  Sin upon sin.  Everybody - no fighting for a couple of hours, and kiss your mothers if you can. I've got a book to disappear into.

No comments: