Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Three in a Row

If you take a look at the last post, I had a nice audition last week. Saturday I had an another audition - it was fun, though I have no idea if I will get cast due to lots of scheduling conflicts.  Then today I had a really really nice audition.  I'm on a roll!  I love it!

I'm trying to write down the excitment and thrill I feel now, because there's a high probability I won't book any kind of work from any of the three, and then I'll feel pointless all over again.  But right now I feel pointful!  Pointed! Pointy? 

So I could bore all of us with the play by play of today, but the gist is this: they kept asking me to do more things.  I sang, they gave me a scene to read.  I read, they gave me a song from the show to sing.  I sang again, they asked me to stay and read some more. 

Plus, the accompanist was this truly awesome, Julliard-trained piano player I've worked with and think is wonderful (and he really is, he's insanely talented) and on one of his trips out of the audition room he turned to me and mouthed, "That was really GREAT!"  And then later something like, "You sounded great!"

Which made me feel...gleeful. Pleased. Grateful. Lucky. Talented.

It made me feel like, whatever else happens, I'm doing something right.  Not everything, perhaps, and not enough that I'm where I need to be, but something.  Maybe even enough to keep at it a while longer.

And it's not just the praise - I mean, yes, of course, my vanity is sated, but there was also just the joy of getting to sing a pretty song in front of people, and have it sound good.  It was the musical theatre equivalent of the general audition the other day.  I do this for the sheer delight of doing it - I want so badly to do it well, and when a note rings in your voice a certain way and you know you're selling the song, you know it suits you and you land on a note with the ease of a gymnast, it feels so GREAT. 

Then I got to go to rehearsal and learn a square dance!  What a great day this has been!!!

I wrote it down because in a few days, when no jobs are forthcoming, I'll start to feel like I imagined it all.  I want to pull out this description like a shiny locket and remember that when I get to do it, I LOVE IT.  Even for a few minutes.  Even in an audition.

And that's worth sticking around for.

No comments: