Thursday, October 06, 2011

Facebook

And now for a mood change (bring those lights back up!):

There are things people do on facebook that drive me nuts - no, wait, that's too strong.  When I'm in a good mood, certain comments make me roll my eyes.  When I'm in a bad mood, they drive me nuts.

I'm frequently tempted to grouse about it in my status update, but then I resist because people are largely well-meaning and it's really my problem, not theirs.  But here are some things that I could do without as regards facebook:


  • Couples who use facebook status updates as a conduit for pillow talk.  Hey, folks, get a room, or at least, how easy would it be to send that in a private message?  Do you have to have the "I was just thinking about you, pookie-bear..."/ "Awww, tinsel toes, I can't wait for tonight!" conversation IN MY FEED?  I'm not trying to eavesdrop, peeps, you're making me eavesdrop.
  • The person who is always, without fail, absolutely, first to comment on any and everything I post/my family posts/anyone posts.  Especially the things that have no bearing on his/her life.  I could post, "Going to Zimbabwe!" and this person would comment within seconds something like "I've always loved places that start with the letter Z!"  Uh, great.  Thanks for your input.
  • People who post about their awesome, amazing holidays in places like France and Cabo.  Sure, it's nice to tell people you're going on vacation, but there is a different between commenting on a fun time and lording it over the little people.  I guess a better way to express this is:  is it in good taste to brag to the homeless man outside your office about the seven course meal you had last night?  Know your audience.
  • My exceptionally religious friend who either takes me to task for not being godly enough or willfully misses that I am often joking.  Sweetie, you know I am not the same religion as you.  Why on earth are you continuously commenting as if we have the same goals and tactics in life?  Oh, wait, it's because you're convinced that if I don't believe what you believe, I must be doing it wrong.  Wow, I can't imagine why that would irritate me.  Especially if I happen to complain about something in my life and you pretty much tell me it would have all worked out if I had just prayed harder.  Yeah....


In contrast, I love when people post about their kids (kids are cute!), and put up funny pictures and say witty things.  Hooray for all those people who make facebook entertaining.  I love looking at people's wedding photos and new houses and trips to fun places and general success.  So if we could just clear up these few pesky bad habits, it would be so much better for all of us!

No?  Ah, well....

No comments: