Sunday, July 24, 2011

Change of Scene

So, we've arrived in Michigan, me amongst this merry band of Shakespeare players, and I'm happy to report that at least the change of scene is a great benefit.  I'm shaking off some of the worst of the hopelessness and trying to get on with enjoying what I can.  After all, it's beautiful up here, and every one is pretty nice, and no matter what, it's fun to perform here. 

We're in the midst of tech, which can be a hassle but usually runs more smoothly than we expect.  I'm installed in a corner of a tiny room on a bed that's not even an actual bed (it's a sofa over which a small mattress has been laid), in a room with two other women, and it is cramped, definitely, but at least both women are nice and we're all working to make it as comfortable as possible for each other. 

I've been to the grocery store, so I finally have fruits and vegetables to eat instead of just endless burgers and sandwiches from the diner-like place next door (it's got great food but not the kind that will make your body feel better), and I may even have time for a short nap. 

While I'm still pretty removed from the vacationy, life-is-good mentality I often get up here, I am glad for some small mercies and I know I'll enjoy slinging on a sword tonight and tromping around the woods in my army boots.  And there's no one up here I can't stand - or rather, I can find a way to enjoy some part of every person who surrounds me.  That's a relief.

Now, if I can keep away from the Crescent Bakery and stay focused on the tasks at hand, or at the very least focus on reading all the novels I brought (and not on my continuing failure as a human being), I'll get a real vacation from myself.

That would be nice. Ahh.

No comments: