Monday, July 18, 2011

A Three Legged Dog

I saw a three legged dog today.  A three legged golden retriever.  This may sound odd, but I bet if you think of the phrase "three-legged dog" the image that leaps to mind is either some sort of Jack Russell terrier or a mutt so ugly its momma had trouble loving it.

Though maybe that's just me with that set of associations.

So this particular dog was not tiny, or a mutt.  It was a beautiful purebred golden, the head cheerleader of dog breeds, only with three legs.  And damn it, that dog looked happy.  Gleeful.  Like it had caught a squirrel.  Or outstriped a dalmation in a race.  Or found a particularly amazing stick.  ("Look, I have a stick!" dogs always seem to say when they have a stick, so proud of themselves.)

Three legs, no problems.  Love it.  Now, if only I could have given that dog a stick...

No comments: