Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Nope

It's not the vitamins.  I took some this morning and I'm equally crabby.  It might be the hayfever.

Here's the thing.  I grew up without allergies.  On a recent trip to New Orleans, I was without allergies.  Back in SC on vacation, I was without allergies.  While, yes, I may have a cold, the symptoms I'm experiencing seem much more like allergies.

WHAT THE HELL AM I ALLERGIC TO IN THE MIDWEST?

Could it be...failure?

Oh, wait, that's boring, I can come up with much more entertaining things for me to be allergic to in the Midwest:


  • Blue-collar-esque clock-punching
  • A tendency for the visceral over the verbal (sounds like a complicated math equation, yes?)
  • Blocky, featureless office buildings (Damn you and your functionality, Mies van der Rohe!!)
  • Flatness - and I mean figuratively as well as literally.  Yeah, yeah, the grid means you planned your city, it's easy to navigate, and you have a place to hide your trash (because there are alleys).  But personally, I prefer complexity to boredom.
If I say sooth (working on Macbeth lines, can you tell?), it has to be some plant that's making me sneeze, but those others contribute to my general irritability.

1 comment:

habermasgal said...

Hi Lady. I went on the longest vacation I've ever taken. very weird and of course I didn't want to come back to "reality" because I was gone long enough to really enjoy not working.

Anyway, I have developed annoying allergies out here in the midwest. People tell me we develop them with age, but I just like to blame the midwest. I see no problem with that.