Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Vanity

It should be no surprise to my two whole readers (hi, Michael and Becky!) that despite my claim a few weeks ago to Really, I Mean It, Go on a Diet, I have not particularly.  The irritating thing is that I'd like to shift 10, maybe 15 pounds, and that's not a lot, but I like eating, and this is prime holiday season, and there have been and will be things to celebrate.  The problem comes in that I find it hard to care enough to not eat when there is tasty food.  I mean, we made Ginger Lemon Sorbet!  It was awesome!

Drat.

But I still prefer the self that has dropped these 10 pounds - and for sheer vanity.  Gracious, I am finding these past few months that vanity is a bigger motivator for me than almost anything else.  It may be why I'm not as successful an actor as I'd like to be.  There are lots of parts you can't play well once your vanity is compromised.  Note to self: give up on vanity, it's not helping you.
 
So, I'm going to redouble my efforts to lose some weight, and start today, and go running in the bargain.  I won't be defeated by my own vanity!  At least, not permanently.

Of course, my vanity is also appeased by all this time spent thinking back into the past, because I have shifted a good deal of weight I used to carry around (physical and otherwise).  It's nice to think I have conquered a few things over time.  It makes my eventual success provable.

No comments: