Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Can't lose or can't win

My flight is delayed.  Excessively delayed.  I don't intend to imply irritation with the word "excessive" - in fact, for once, I am in the enviable position that either way, I'll be fine.  Yes, I have work that I am scheduled to do tomorrow, and it would suck to miss it.  One of my appointments is for a vo gig, too.  But I figure if weather makes it impossible for me to get there, what can I do?  Everything I need to do can be  rescheduled.  In the best possible way, I'm not so important that 24 hours is going to ruin anyone's life, even mine.

Now, if I were a heart surgeon....

I think in general it would be less inconvenient for everyone if I get back to Chicago tonight, but here's the kicker: if I don't get on the plane tonight, it will probably be AWESOME for me.  I would be forced to take a cab back to the beachfront condo, where I would have to stay alone, by myself, with only endless television for company and only whatever I can scrounge out of the cabinet/freezer for food. (Or of course, whatever I can walk to, which is actually a pretty good selection.)

If I want, I can then spend the rest of the evening on the porch listening to the surf, or curled up on the sofa watching black and white movies, or writing a letter or reading.  I would be entirely self-reliant in a place I feel entirely at ease.

Of course, the likelihood is that this flight will continue to be delayed but eventually depart and eventually land, late, at O'Hare, in piles of snow.  After a tedious and protracted journey home, I will open the door back into the life where people need certain things from me.  That's all right.  Mostly they need the things I want to give them.

I'm just saying that if I slipped the net for an extra 24 hours, I'd relish the hell out of them.



No comments: